Dumfries and Galloway Standard
12 March 1851
Enrick copper mine
The copper mine at Enrick, near Gatehouse, neglected for many years, has lately been resumed by an English company, who have a few hands now employed. It is expected from the discovery of a vein made last week, to be pushed on with redoubled vigour. One of the men, working in his shift, unexpectedly struck his pick against an immense mass of copper, and roared out to his comrade to 'come here, Jock, I hae fun a lump as big as a horse'. In point of fact, it was a mass of about two tons – the beginning of a new vein.
Ardrossan and Saltcoats Herald
12 March 1870
The Lord Provost and Magistrates of Edinburgh have issued a proclamation against the increasing practice of Sabbath shop traffic in groceries, confectionaries, toys, tobacco and other commodities, warning offenders that the law will be put in force and calling upon the citizens to discourage all unnecessary Sunday trading.
13 March 1884
A new theatre for Dundee
We understand that a special effort is now to be made for the purpose of securing the further sum of between £3,000 and £4,000 required to complete the amount necessary for the erection of a new Dundee Theatre. A sum of about £9,000 has already been guaranteed, and there is little doubt that the further amount needed will soon be forthcoming. It is not necessary that we should speak at length on the desirability of a new Temple of Thespis for a town of the size, wealth, and importance of Dundee. It would rather be for those, if there are any such, who consider the present theatrical accommodation sufficient, to be called on to defend their views. But few if any, whose opinion is worth having, will be found to justify the present condition of things.
What we want is a large and commodious place, erected in accordance with sanitary laws, and built in a way that would insure the safety of the largest audience which it could hold. Owing to the scant theatre accommodation which Dundee at present commands, the lieges are often deprived of opportunities of hearing great artists, the expenses in connection with whose engagement are so great that only very large audiences could give a sufficient return. A place specially built as a theatre, on modern scientific principles, can alone secure that comfort which those have a right to who want a night's pleasant entertainment, without risk either from a stifling atmosphere, arising from non-ventilation, or from draughts of icy wind bought in to obviate the ill effects of imperfect ventilation. With a theatre in keeping at once with the size and wealth of Dundee, there should be added another to the sum of existing means of social progress and reform.
[Her Majesty's Theatre and Opera House opened on the Seagate in October 1885. It held 1,650 people and continued to operate until 1919 when it was sold to become a picture house. The building was destroyed during the second world war but has since been rebuilt.]
15 March 1862
It is hinted from a source we can rely on, that those publicans who keep gaming tables, or allow parties to play at cards, dominoes, etc, are noted down by our authorities in their book of remembrance, and that such individuals will probably have some difficulty next licensing court day in obtaining a renewal of their certificates. We would, therefore, suggest to those parties who are in the habit of allowing gambling within their premises, the necessity of giving up the practice, or be prepared for something more serious.
We speak advisedly when we say that the harbouring of young and old in public houses for days, and even night in certain houses, has actually come to the knowledge of some of our authorities, who are determined to put a stop to it in a way our otherwise respectable publicans may not dream of. Apart from intemperance altogether we think it pitiable in the extreme that the temptations and allurements of the gaming table should be made an auxiliary in driving a 'roaring trade'.
15 March 1905
Birsay – Coats Library
The opening of this library took place in the school room at Twatt on Wednesday evening. There was a large attendance, the school room being crowded. The Rev Mr Meldrum was moved to and took the chair, and made a neat speech in reference to the library, and Mr Coats' generosity. Appropriate speeches were also made by the Rev Messrs Macpherson and Parker, who both spoke in high terms of the selection of books. The Rev Messrs Meldrum, Macpherson and Parker, and Messrs James Hay, Wm Moar and Robert Scarth were appointed a committee of management, Mr Scarth convener. Mr Robert Scarth was appointed librarian, with the Rev Mr Meldrum as assistant.
The library is to be open every Tuesday from 7.30pm to 8.30pm. A small fee of three pence is to be paid annually by readers for incidental expenses. It was agreed that not more than two books be in one family at the same time, and that no book be in one’s possession for more than one month. On the motion of Mr Peter F Spence, Eastabist, it was unanimously and heartily agreed to convey to Mr Coats the deepest gratitude of the parish for his great generosity. The number of volumes is 438, with a handsome bookcase.