10 May 1913
New Village for West Fife
The establishment of a village, consisting of 30 houses, does not take place every day, not even in the rapidly-developing West Fife district. Dunfermline District Committee has further considered the proposal of the Coldness Iron and Coal Company to erect 390 houses near to Comrie Castle for the workmen at the new Blairhall collieries. The space to be occupied by the village extends to 34 acres, giving about 12 houses to the acre. The houses were all of one storey, well arranged in blocks of six and eight, and were to be kept a distance of 30 feet from the centre of roadways. Ninety-six houses were to be erected now, and this number was to be added to as the colliery expanded.
11 May 1905
Ox in a Minister's Study
The rector of an Episcopal Church in Aberdeen, residing in the northern district of the city, got a rather unpleasant surprise and had the quiet of his study rudely disturbed on Saturday afternoon by the appearance in the sanctum of a fat ox. The unwelcome visitor walked leisurely into the apartment, much to the alarm of the minister, who made his escape and left the brute in possession. The animal was one of a number that were being driven to one of the marts, and, becoming detached from the others, it made a dash along the street in which the rectory is situated, and, entering the open door, ascended a flight of steps until it reached the study, where, after sniffing about for some time, no doubt in search of something to eat, broke the glass of a bookcase. Fortunately the drover in charge arrived on the scene, and succeeded in getting the brute out of the house, but not before an umbrella stand came to grief, the damage altogether done by the animal, which kept wonderfully docile, amounting to about 30s. Subsequently the ox was landed in the mart without further mishap.
12 May 1859
On Monday night last, about 10 o’clock, whilst a young man named William Thomson, a weaver in New Langholm, was out taking a walk with a young woman, along what is familiarly known here as 'Gaskells Walk', he became suddenly ill, and exclaimed 'I am dying', and expired almost immediately afterwards. The young woman returned home and told the sorrowful tale, when a few men set out for the place where he was left, and brought him home to the house of a near relation with whom he was a lodger. Deceased was previously affected with palpitation at the heart, and it is thought that death ensued from that cause. The young woman has been very ill ever since Monday night. She is under medical treatment, and up to this time shows no signs of a speedy recovery.
14 May 1844
Sympathy of Birds
As one of Sir Niel Menzies's gamekeepers was returning home one morning lately through the enclosures of Rannoch Lodge, which are partly surrounded by wire-fences, which at times prove very destructive to the feathered tribe, in consequence of being invisible to them in their flight, he happened to interrupt the pleasures of a pair of these sweet warblers of the grove, which are called the 'smeorach'. They took wing, but unfortunately one of them struck with such force against a fence as to fall to the ground. While the gamekeeper was nursing the wounded bird, its companion returned (most likely to learn its fate) and sat beside him, as if it were sobbing and sighing – careless whether he himself was caught; which was done with ease by the spectator of the scene. He took them home, and took good care of them until the wounded one was a little recovered; he then set both at liberty; and nothing could be more touching than the affectionate solicitude with which the one watched the progress of the wounded bird; now lending it a wing, and again cheering it while resting, until both were at length lost to the view of the kindhearted gamekeeper.
14 May 1861
The Lord Provost of Glasgow, according to the Glasgow Herald, has at length resolved to grapple with the obnoxious shebeen system, or unlicensed public-houses, which is spreading like a blight over the lower portions of the city. On the morning of Sunday, 21 April last, betwixt the hours of half-past 12 and two o’clock, a number of these places was visited by the police, and in 12 of them, situated from Trongate to the Bridgegate, upwards of 250 persons were found busy drinking, and many of them in a helpless state of inebriety. It also appears that there are at the present time about 400 of these drinking dens in the city known to the police.
John o' Groat Journal
14 May 1897
To The Deaf
A Gentleman who cured himself of Deafness and Noises in the Head after 14 years, suffering, will gladly send full particulars for the remedy post free. Address, F Clifton, Amberley House, Strand, London, W C.